For eight years I was known as Ms. Crystal to classrooms full of preschoolers. I’ve worked in education since 2005, and most of that time has been spent in early childhood education. I love working with young kids, and seeing the passion they have for learning new things.
The importance of early childhood education took on a new meaning for me in 2009, when I gave birth to my first son. My second little boy followed in 2010, and our third boy was born in 2017. You can follow our family’s reading adventures on Instagram.
We’re now homeschooling, and I’m continuing to read with kids every day. I’m passionate about helping kids love reading, promoting multicultural children’s literature, and helping parents find great books. I also love hosting events to promote literacy in our home city of Indianapolis — click here for regular updates about our special events for homeschool families.
There are three core values that are the driving force behind the books I select for our lists:
- Representation matters. Minority culture children need to see children and families that look like theirs. Majority culture children need to see children and families that are different than theirs.
- Equality for everyone benefits everyone. When oppressed people are liberated, everyone wins.
- Books are one of the best tools to build empathy and cultural literacy in children.
If you’re new here, you may want to check out some of our most popular book lists:
- 30 Picture Books About World-Changing Women
- 13 Children’s Books About Perseverance
- 8 Children’s Books About the Orchestra
- 15 Children’s Books About Women in Science
Are you interested in working with Fundamental Children’s Books to promote your book, brand, or business? Learn more here.